We are currently looking to recruit a Customs and Excise Duty Advisor for our organization to join us in our Hamburg office.
Shell as a company is one of the biggest indirect tax collectors in the world. You will form part of our DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) Indirect Tax team, being responsible for the delivery of high value Customs and Excise Duty advice to our Businesses and Functions in the DACH region. It is an ideal opportunity for someone to commence or continue their in-house Indirect Tax Advisory career within one of the largest organisations in the world.
- Advise Businesses and Functions in high risk issues with respect to Excise (energy-, gas-, electricity-, alcohol- and tobacco- tax and other comparable quantity based taxes or levies) and Customs Duties (import duties/VAT, export controls and other customs matters)
- Provide Customs and Excise Duty advice to projects initiated by the Businesses and Functions. Secure business processes are compliant with the respective national and EU Customs and Excise Duty regulations. Negotiate Customs and Excise Duty issues with fiscal authorities.
- Defend businesses against challenges of Customs and Excise Duty auditors. Appeal against unjustified Customs and Excise Duty assessments. File for Customs and Excise Duty refunds and equitable relieves.
- Apply for and advise on required Customs and Excise Duty approvals/ licenses necessary to operate the Businesses and Functions. Make Businesses and Functions aware of Customs and Excise Duty issues with high risk to avoid tax claims and penalties. Manage and provide Customs and Excise Duty training for the Businesses/ Functions.
- Comply with Shell’s Global Indirect Tax Practice Notes. Secure and maintain tax integrity of technological and business processes; Safeguard Excise Duty processes comply with SOX 404. Contribute to reporting and analysis of tax savings and tax exposures. Establish and maintain good relations between Shell and the fiscal authorities.
Requirement & Qualifications
- Bachelors or University degree in Customs and Excise Duty or similar
- Knowledge of Customs & Excise Duty legislation within Germany, Europe and respective EU directives and regulations
- Appropriate experience in the co-operation with fiscal authorities
- Effective communicator; both written and verbal
- Effective task prioritization skills
- Good negotiation skills and effective at influencing others within and outside of Shell Tax
- Ability to adapt to new or changing circumstances and ambiguous or pressured situations
- Demonstrates imagination and creativity in the evaluation of issues and development of possible solutions
- Ability to evaluate Customs and Excise Duty risks, balance risk with Business objectives, and make recommendations that are objective practical, technically appropriate, and supportive of the Business
- Team player
- Languages: German and English written and verbal fluently